An Inconvenient Dream


Last night I had a dream:

I had passed away and had arrived outside Heaven's city walls, where I met Peter. I asked him which way I had to go to enter.

Peter said that before I could enter I had to write down every single sin that I had committed on the black board behind me. I turned round and saw the largest black board you ever did see - the height and length of Wembley Stadium.

Then Peter came up to me with a piece of chalk 30 feet long and six feet thick. He told me that when I had finished I had to walk down to my left and enter the pearly gates.

Well I didn't know where to start and overwhelmed at the task ahead of me, you could imagine how down I felt at this stage. I was in absolute despair.


Until that is I looked to my left and saw someone walking towards me. It was ....

YOU - YES YOU!!!

"Did Peter give you the same instructions as me?" I enquired
"Yes" came your reply.
"Aren't you heading in the wrong direction?" I asked - "the Pearly gates are down there to my left"

"Well yes" you replied, " I'll get down there eventually ... but I was wondering .... have you got any more chalk?"


Of course your sins are not really any greater than mine! But this "inconvenient dream" indicates that we simply do not deserve to be in God's presence. If you were to die tonight how sure are you that you will be able to enter into the kingdom of God?

The Bible says:

No one is righteous not even one (Romans 3:10)

All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God (Romans 3:23)

The wages of sin is death (eternal separation from God) (Romans 6:23a)

but the gift of God is eternal life IN CHRIST JESUS OUR LORD (Romans 6:23 b)

if you confess with your mouth 'Jesus is Lord' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified (treated 'just as if I'd' never sinned) and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10)

Jesus is your black board eraser - only by repentance of your sin and accepting the gift of Jesus as your Lord and Saviour can you enter into an eternal relationship with God the Father:

What can wash away my sin?
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

The alternative does not bear thinking about.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wonder in which of the Gospels Jesus taught like this?
Sorry anonymous, not sure what you mean by the question. Not even sure if this is a positive or negative comment - please come back on this!

Are you referring to the humour?

If so Jesus often used humour - ever pictured a plank in someone's eye?

Or are you referring to good news that our sins are washed away only by the blood of Jesus - if so look at John 3:16 where Jesus puts a condition of the promise of eternal life - that you trust and believe in Him (Jesus).

Or maybe you are thinking of the underlying message of a need for repentance and the dire consequences of not doing so - Jesus says these things using much stronger language and with much
straighter talking than mine:

Remember he says to the one who makes excuses not to follow him:
"No one who puts his hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the service in the kingdom of God"

and further:

"You snakes, you brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?" he once asked his audience.

I have here tried to use humour to share the good news of Jesus.

God bless

Neil
Anonymous your comment has been rejected, because I will not publish comments that are full of hatred for our Lord God.

I will however on this occasion address the comments you made:

You talked about having the free will to choose a god 'we've never seen or heard?'. It is never the less a God we have all experienced, whether we like to admit it or not.

'Is this love?' was your final question - I would say Yes it is love that Jesus was prepared to die on that cross knowing full well many would reject him!

God bless, praying for you!

Neil
Anonymous

Why not listen/watch the utube video entitled 'Above All' below, and ask yourself 'Is this love?'

Whilst you do this why not ask Jesus to speak into your anger, your hurts and pains and be open to receiving healing from God.

I pray that He will bring some of the peace that you are so desperately seeking.

Neil
June Butler said…
Q of I, I came to read your joke, but it did not leave me laughing.
Anonymous said…
I wonder what makes you think that Peter is heavens gate entrance keeper? Oh you've read that somewhere.
Anonymous said…
anonymous

Of course I don't think Peter is really heaven's gate keeper - please someone find the humour in this joke!
Dawg said…
I found it!

C'mon folks....
Praise God for Waynedawg!

Thanks mate, good to hear from you.

Neil

Popular posts from this blog

Where does the ability to love come from?

Hedonist in the Making

Pseudo intellectual protesteth too much