Global??? warming




Comments

Nohm said…
"Global warming" != "There will be no snow"

Word ver: colderd
Nohm: Thanks for passing by. sometimes I do put some tongue in cheek stuff on here, though I do wonder about global warming - especially since this and last winter we have had the coldest winters for years and we haven't had a summer to talk about for a long time.
Anonymous said…
Neil

Yes, I was rather sceptical at first about global warming, but the evidence seems to back it up. Yes, we’re having a cold snap at present, but all we’re really having (in the UK at least) is the kind of winter our latitude says we should have. With the exception of The Lizard in Cornwall not one square inch of the UK mainland is below 50 degrees latitude (almost of the US is below 50 degrees longitude a great deal of the country has far far worse winters than we do. We’re actually further north than Newfoundland in Canada. The only reason we get mild winters and warm, wet summers is the influence of the Gulf Stream and the north Atlantic Drift bringing warm water from the Gulf of Mexico and the jet stream bringing most of our weather from the South West. (I have seen first evidence of this when walking on the Beara Peninsula in Co. Cork, Eire during the Millennium holidays – I found the (very smelly) remains of a giant sea turtle, usually found in the Caribbean – it was the size of a Smart car – the locals said they turn up on the Irish coast from time to time). If you think how short our daylight hours are in the winter, you’d think it would be a lot colder than is. Oddly enough it is the same conditions that give us hard winters that give us hot summers. Usually we have wave and wave of Atlantic weather symptoms giving us dull wet summers.

Part of me is glad to see the snow (and as I work from home I can just watch it through the windows!) – and a winter like this will reduce vermin and pests. However I don’t think my fig palm will rejuvenate in the spring. It’s also good for children to see the kind of winters our generation remember. I still have a scar on the back of my hand from sledging (using and old tin tea tray) in the bad winter of 1978! I used to love taking the dog out and pretending I was in Narnia!

Keep warm!

L.L.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does the ability to love come from?

Hedonist in the Making

A Bible Believing Repentance Seeking Evangelising Arch-Bishop