Is your church covering up the cross?
















The production team of Coronation Street got a blasting in the press this week for covering up a cross that was fixed onto the altar in a church where they were filming a fictitious wedding of two characters from the Street. Their reason? Because they did not want to offend anyone. This of course is political madness gone crazy! We shouldn't be too surprised about this: It was Paul who said that the cross is an offense to unbelievers and considered foolishness to those who are perishing - "but to us who are being saved it is the power of God!" 1 Corinthians 1:18

I am however more concerned for parts of the church who effectively cover up the cross in their denial of the doctrine of penal substitution! - The fact that Jesus took the punishment for our sin, so that those who trust and believe in Him shall not go to hell but have eternal life.

This doctrine is absolutely central to the Christian faith and to deny it is as far as I am concerned is to cover up the cross and to deny Christ.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Totally agree. A denial of Penal Sibstitution is a denial of the gospel. But I dont think a denial of the doctrine is the most concerning point. I think the churches that do believe in Penal Substitution but dont care to talk about it because of how offensive it is, are the real problem. To affirm substitutionary atonement is not enough. It must be preached regurally and on a consitent basis. The cross must be the focus of a Church because the Cross is the only reason we worship God. Good post as always.

In Christ,
Danny
Danny

You have hit on something important here. I guess there is something very wrong with churches that believe in this doctrine but don't have the courage to preach it.

God bless

Neil
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
JP

Thanks for your comment. You really do have major issues with church. I only wish I could help to bring some healing where you are obviously hurting.

Personally I have found a good number members of the clergy who are humble and loving - though there are those who fall somewhat short of this of course!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
P.S. - three of my close friends are CofE clergy - two of whom are Evangelical.

Why do you assume I am generalising when I only used singular tense verbs and pronouns when discussing this priest?

On to lighter things... The last time I watched Coronation Street Hilda Ogden was in it! Which goes to show my interest in the show. Though got to talking to Sue Nicholls (aka Audrey Roberts - and Miss Popoff and Miss Jones (Reginald Perrin)) on holiday last year - she is completely unlike her character!!

Keep well - I've sent you something written by one of my clergy friends, you may find it useful in your ministry - esp. given the demongraphics of Huddersfield! I found it very helpful in my work.

Every blessing:

J-P



J-P
J-P
I agree that the fixtures and fittings inside the church are not of high importance and you are certainly right to say that it is what is going on in church that is of importance!
You are right also that I would criticise any idolisation of fixture and fitting in the church (not sure about how you know about my reputation in the CA though).
I understand your point about the potential (motive?) of the news paper article to cause a xenophobic reaction.
Whilst this (I know you will recognise)is clearly not my intention, I do think in England the following quote has some mileage:
"In high brow circles, ridiculing Jews is Nazism, ridiculing blacks is racism, ridiculing feminists is sexism, but ridiculing Christians is freedom of speech" (William Reel writing in the Times)
But anyway my article isn't about any of the above - I simply used the covering up of the cross as an allegory of what is going on with the doctrine of penal substitution.

Praying that the Christ who died on that cross makes a difference in your life!

Neil

Popular posts from this blog

Where does the ability to love come from?

Hedonist in the Making

A Bible Believing Repentance Seeking Evangelising Arch-Bishop